In addition to playing an important role in the decoration of our kitchen, the kitchen counter is one of the points we are most in contact with in terms of usage. When choosing a kitchen counter, we want it to be durable, stylish, and affordable. Not knowing where to start when choosing a kitchen counter can worry you.
Where should we start when choosing a kitchen counter as an architect at home? What should we pay attention to? We have prepared the mistakes we made when choosing a kitchen counter and the types of benches that can help you and their advantages. How to choose a kitchen counter, let’s examine together
5 Tips to Consider When Choosing a Kitchen Countertop
1) Do not choose a kitchen counter without doing research.
While the type of stone people prefer when choosing a kitchen countertop is granite stone surfaces in general, they sometimes prefer patterned, colored stones that are in the homes of our grandmothers. However, they have no idea about stone structure and durability when choosing. Each machine has its own characteristics, plus and minus aspects. When choosing kitchen countertops, it is necessary to choose not only the appearance, but also the most accurate and most useful for your home by researching.
The most preferred kitchen countertops?
- Stainless steel
- Artificial Stone
- Linoleum / Formica
2) Kitchen countertops are not enough by themselves.
One of the other mistakes made when choosing a kitchen counter is to think of the counter alone. When choosing a kitchen counter, consider the countertop, the floor of our kitchen, the countertops and cabinets. Kitchen counters alone are not enough. It is necessary to be careful that your kitchen is compatible with other items.
3) It must be tested before buying your kitchen counter.
When you prefer kitchen countertops, you should test your preferred countertop surface as a small tip. If you have chosen to buy kitchen countertops such as granite, marble and quartz, it will be useful to take samples and thin them out. Both natural and artificial stone countertops can be prone to smudging, scratching or sculpting. Pasta stain with a sauce poured on the white quartz kitchen counter can bother you quite. After choosing your stone, request a sample piece and examine how hard it is with small tests.
Also See : Grey Kitchen Decorations and Ideas
4) Consider the upholstery of your kitchen counters.
Here we would like to give you a little hint about this. If you go to choose a stone for a kitchen counter, be sure to consider the flooring of your kitchen. Stone countertops have many types in color, vein and quality. When people choose stones for kitchen countertops, they think that all stones and all colors are the same. When a white and gray marble chosen without attention comes to the kitchen, it disappoints. In fact, it faces a warmer-toned color than the planned color. When choosing a stone countertop, you should always consider the flooring to be installed.
5) Attention should be paid to the correct kitchen counter cutting.
One of the other mistakes made when choosing a kitchen counter is to skip the cutting style of the counter tops. People think that after completing the stone choice, everything is over. In fact, as well as the choice of stone, the cutting style of the counter plays an important role. If your kitchen counter has strong vein patterns, your kitchen may not be compatible with stitch marks, which are obviously suspended, and discordant vein lines independent from each other.
One of the most used areas in any home is the kitchen. The kitchen counter is one of the most contacted areas as the usage area of your kitchen. We have touched on the mistakes made above, now let’s look at the types of countertops stones, their advantages and disadvantages.
Types of Kitchen Countertops: Advantages and Disadvantages
1) Advantages and disadvantages of Granite Kitchen Countertops
Granite is a natural stone with a unique print and colors. It is the most preferred option for kitchens and bathrooms as it is relatively heat resistant.
- It is long lasting.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- It is low cost.
- It is not very resistant to acidic food and products.
2) Advantages and disadvantages of marble kitchen countertops
Marble kitchen counters are among the most preferred due to their elegant appearance. Each line of its composition is unique, as it is made of natural limestone.
- It has a high aesthetic appearance.
- It is resistant to heat.
- Easy to clean due to its homogeneous material
- It is not resistant to strong impacts.
- It is expensive.
- Due to its high porosity, it should be closed with antibacterial staining and antibacterial resin.
3) Advantages and disadvantages of artificial stone kitchen countertops
Artificial stones are usually made from chopped natural minerals such as marble or quartz mixed with a particular resin. When designing with artificial stones, it is useful to work with serious professional suppliers to ensure their quality.
- It is a standard and homogeneous material.
- They are non-porous and do not stain.
- It can be easily protected and cleaned.
- They have a wide variety of colors and finishes.
- It is costly compared to more traditional options.
- It has low resistance to heat and absorption.
4) Advantages and disadvantages of porcelain kitchen countertops
Porcelain tile stone options are among the most popular options. Although they are not very durable, they are relatively durable. The most prominent feature is durability and impermeability. It is also among the options that can be configured to resemble other materials such as marble, wood or concrete.
- It does not absorb water.
- It is very resistant to physical and chemical wear.
- Porcelain is also easy to clean.
- When designing with porcelain, it is necessary to work with specialized companies to guarantee impact resistance.
- It should also be applied with a porcelain reinforced structure.
5) Advantages and disadvantages of stainless steel countertops
Stainless steel is one of the best materials to be used in industrial kitchens due to its resistance to heat and bacteria, as well as being an option that provides one of the highest rates of asepsis due to its tightness. It is not preferred due to its high cost.
- It is hygienic, practical and long-lasting.
- Extremely expensive and easy to draw
Also See : Wooden Kitchen Models are Coming Back
6) Advantages and disadvantages of concrete kitchen countertops
Concrete countertops are an extremely durable and economical material. There are many techniques for coloring the concrete that extends the possible topcoats to be applied.
- Its appearance is versatile and economical to manufacture, requiring only cement, sand and water.
7) Advantages and disadvantages of wooden kitchen countertops
Wooden kitchen benches provide warmth to the environment where it is located and its installation is very practical. It is the most widely used material for making oak, walnut and beech.
- Practical setup.
- It has low heat resistance and low impact resistance to sharp objects.
- It requires strict protection and care for effective contact with water.
8) Glass kitchen counter advantages and disadvantages
When made from tempered glass, the material can be quite safe. It should be used with anti-stain and antibacterial products. Available options include transparent, translucent, textured and tinted lenses.
- It does not stain.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- Installation and manufacture costs are high.
Also See : White Kitchen Decoration
9) Advantages and disadvantages of soap stone kitchen countertops
Since steatite is very resistant to acid products, soap stone, which is widely used in clinics and laboratories, is a natural stone.
- It is one of the longest lasting options.
- Its heat resistance is lower than other natural stones like granite.
- Continuous maintenance is required, including lubrication and polishing